Skip to main content

An Unfinished Letter to God

Romans 8:28 -- And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose. (ESV)

As most people already know, I have resigned from my current job and my last day of work in my current company is drawing nearer and nearer every second. It's kind of bittersweet, but it's mostly sweet. I just can't wait to leave the situation I'm in right now -- can't wait to leave the silent burning of anger and bitterness and just embark on a new journey that would hopefully, God willing, will help restore the joy that has been slowly being sucked out of me these past two years. So, I'm starting to clean up my desk, throw a ton of old and useless papers, and delete many personal and unwanted files. Then, boom! I found a file called 'Dear God.doc'. 

Being a recluse that I am, I am not surprised at all of this file. Hello??? I'm a recluse, a loner, so I love to write my feelings out (so the stereotype goes). Curious of what this file is all about, I opened it and read the two paragraphs that this letter had. Then, I thought, when did I write this letter? I can't seem to have any recollection of it. Right click -- view -- details -- last saved on April 13, 2011 5:59 PM. Then I tried to remember, what were the circumstances during my life at this time? Why did I thought this way? Why was it left unfinished?

April 13, 2011 was just a few weeks after I discovered that I was pregnant with Elisha. It was a time of confusion, a time of regret, a time of shame, a time of questions, a time of uncertainty and everything in between. Given that I wrote this in the office, it was probably left unfinished because it was time to go home and the following day, I might have been too busy arranging my unplanned and unexpected travel to the Philippines. 

Most of the letter was comprised of questions -- mostly questions about God's love. If I only knew then what would happen just a few months later, I would not have asked those questions. Of course, that's because hindsight is always 20:20. The answers to those questions are all clear to me now. 

Here's the unfinished letter I wrote almost six years ago....

Dear God,
I cannot imagine how a thing like this has come to pass. This would never have happened if it weren’t Your will. I have made mistakes and have flirted with disaster. Yet, You gave Your protection even without me asking for it.

It’s too overwhelming that I feel so ashamed. I am ashamed of what I have done and what I have become. I feel unworthy of even a small bit of attention from you. Sometimes I ask myself if You would ever listen to me. Would You listen to a sinner? Would You love someone who has time and time again disobeyed You? I have hurt You more than anyone else. I know You have shed more tears for me more than my friends, my family, and my loved ones. I know You have sacrificed Your blood for me. Yet, I cannot seem to believe that Your stubborn love would still reach me. That’s how shamed I am.

However, when I look back on all those days and weeks and months, all those... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Filipinos Make Mr. Art Bell Puke... That's Not the Case With Me!

A hate mail has been circulating in the web right now against Filipinos and Philippines as a country. It is clearly a product of ignorance and I am greatly outraged and that the same time saddened by the contents of the open letter. The letter was written by a man named Art Bell who is reportedly a radio commentator. I don't know where he based his opinions but they are really ridiculous! His letter entitled "Filipinos Make Me Puke" is in blue below. A response to the letter by a fellow Filipino is in green while my own response is in red. Filipinos Make Me Puke By: Art Bell As we've all come to notice, in the past few decades, Filipinos have begun to infest the United States like some sort of disease. Their extensive involvement in the U.S. Armed Forces is proof of the trashy kind of qualities all Filipinos tend to exhibit on a regular basis. You can see this clearly by studying the attitudes and cultural Icons of most Filipino Americans. Origins of Pinoys/Pinays

A Prayer in the Desert

We had just finished our pictionary sessions for that day when Manang startled us with a shocking news. Immanuel, or Iman as what we usually call him, the only nephew we have, was rushed to the hospital earlier that day. We were kind of late for the news as my eldest sister, Grace, only left an offline message to my other sister's (Nanette) yahoo account.  It was not really a cause of alarm for me at first as I knew that Ate is some kind of paranoid sometimes. She worries a lot and I thought that she overestimated the gravity of the situation.  Manang decided to call Ate though it was already around 4am Philippine time. I was only listening, something that I usually do as I'm not good in communicating affection to family members, or to anyone if I may say (but it doesn't mean that I don't care. I do, I really do care.) She first told us about the situation, that Iman was suffering from a disease worse than pneumonia, that his lungs were dirty, and that air could

Pray for a Partner!

I was surprised by the question that my sister threw at me one time, “Do you now have a boyfriend?” Caught off guard, I honestly said, “None.” It was true anyway. I don’t have a boyfriend now. But by the look of her face I could sense that she didn’t believe me maybe because I am so wasteful when it comes to cellphone credits and because I go out almost every night. It was obvious to her that I am seeing a guy. But I told her that the guy I’m seeing is not my boyfriend. He’s just a summer fling. Hehehe… and I don’t have plans of taking it to the next level with him (or who knows?! Ngek!). My sister continued to talk about my love life and as usual, I just kept quiet. It was always like that, I just listen to everything she says simply because I just don’t want to say anything. She was persuading me to spit out my affairs with the guy that I’m seeing but I told her that there is just nothing to spit out because nothing is going on between us in the first place. We’re just going out