Skip to main content

Dead to Sin

I have a confession to make. I sin. 

That's hardly a surprise actually. All of us sin. However, the degree upon which we feel the shame and the guilt of sin vary from one person to another. Others feel a guilt so terrible that they condemn themselves while others feel sorry for what they have done but are able to shrug it off at the next moment. Probably for the most of us, we don't even realize that we have sinned. 

I have learned nonetheless that there are some sins that you can easily avoid while there are others that make you struggle so hard you almost always want to give up. The sins that can be seen externally most often are the ones that are easy to overcome. But the sins that lurk in your heart -- the ones that other people wouldn't even know that you have (and most often than not you don't even know you have) -- are the ones that would make you think twice about your character. Then, one day, a thing or a person or a circumstance, causes that sin hiding in the darkness of your heart to come out so viciously and before you know it, you have realized that you have been enslaved by it. This is probably true to most people and that includes me. And now, I'm learning it the hard way. 

The Bible says that when we receive Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, we have become a new creation -- the old has gone, the new has come (2 Corinthians 5:17). We are dead to sin and Christ's righteousness has been imputed unto us. Yet, what many don't understand is that we would never be sinless while we are in this world. John The Beloved says in 1 John 1:8 that "if we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us." While we still have our fleshly nature, we would never become perfect. Our perfection would only come after our earthly death or when we get raptured and meet our God in the clouds.

This does not mean, however, that we have an excuse to sin. In fact, it should be a recognition for us that we would never be able to meet the standards of God no matter what we do. Thus, if we have genuinely accepted Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, we would be humbled by the unending mercies and the unfathomable forgiveness that our God always extends to us. 

One thing I have learned is that, the more we grow in our relationship with God, the more we struggle with sin. Why do I say that? Well, first of all, if you don't have Christ in your heart, you won't even recognize your sins. Your heart would be so calloused that the line drawn between right and wrong would be so blurry if not diminished. But if you have Christ and have become a new creation, you would recognize even the smallest sins. The line drawn between right and wrong would be so clear to you and you would suddenly see the mistakes you do. Some Christians get discouraged by this. Others would even go so far as to doubt their salvation. But Christians only experience this inner conflict because of the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit. 

One of the ministries of the Holy Spirit is to purify us from unrighteousness. Many call this "the purging process". This purging would never end until we are made perfect. And just as purging in the literal sense is painful, so the spiritual sense is painful as well. It's one thing to understand in theory though and another to experience it. 

Earlier I have mentioned that I am learning this the hard way. And it has been literally hard and painful. When I came to recognize this big sin lurking in my heart, I have struggled with it every single day. I have struggled with it so much that it has come to a point that I could no longer serve God without self-condemnation. It was bad -- really, really bad. Many times, God put me face to face with this sin in my heart. Many times, after this confrontation with this specific sin, I find myself at a loss for words, staring at blank space, trying to encourage myself and ask for forgiveness. However, it never went away. Every single day, every single week, coming face to face with this sin torments me. Even when God gave me an encouragement by saying through His Word that He has already overcome the world and that I am also an overcomer through Him, the confrontation never stopped. Until one night, it became so intense that I could almost literally feel the pain in my heart. I struggled so hard that I couldn't even think of anything else but the need and the want to put this sin away. And then I realized one thing -- I was not purged because I'm not letting the Holy Spirit purge me. 

That intense confrontation made me realize that in everything, I should yield myself to the Holy Spirit. Not just in worship and prayer, but also in the sanctification process. So I prayed and literally begged Him to prune me. Painful though it would be, I decided that night, that I no longer want to come face to face with this sin over and over again. I no longer want to be polluted by it nor feel condemned by it. But I just want to be purged and feel the pain that results from the cutting of these dead limbs once and for all and not having to confront this ever again in the future. 

Thanks be to God for His sanctifying work. All the glory and the honor to Him alone. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Filipinos Make Mr. Art Bell Puke... That's Not the Case With Me!

A hate mail has been circulating in the web right now against Filipinos and Philippines as a country. It is clearly a product of ignorance and I am greatly outraged and that the same time saddened by the contents of the open letter. The letter was written by a man named Art Bell who is reportedly a radio commentator. I don't know where he based his opinions but they are really ridiculous! His letter entitled "Filipinos Make Me Puke" is in blue below. A response to the letter by a fellow Filipino is in green while my own response is in red. Filipinos Make Me Puke By: Art Bell As we've all come to notice, in the past few decades, Filipinos have begun to infest the United States like some sort of disease. Their extensive involvement in the U.S. Armed Forces is proof of the trashy kind of qualities all Filipinos tend to exhibit on a regular basis. You can see this clearly by studying the attitudes and cultural Icons of most Filipino Americans. Origins of Pinoys/Pinays

A Prayer in the Desert

We had just finished our pictionary sessions for that day when Manang startled us with a shocking news. Immanuel, or Iman as what we usually call him, the only nephew we have, was rushed to the hospital earlier that day. We were kind of late for the news as my eldest sister, Grace, only left an offline message to my other sister's (Nanette) yahoo account.  It was not really a cause of alarm for me at first as I knew that Ate is some kind of paranoid sometimes. She worries a lot and I thought that she overestimated the gravity of the situation.  Manang decided to call Ate though it was already around 4am Philippine time. I was only listening, something that I usually do as I'm not good in communicating affection to family members, or to anyone if I may say (but it doesn't mean that I don't care. I do, I really do care.) She first told us about the situation, that Iman was suffering from a disease worse than pneumonia, that his lungs were dirty, and that air could

Pray for a Partner!

I was surprised by the question that my sister threw at me one time, “Do you now have a boyfriend?” Caught off guard, I honestly said, “None.” It was true anyway. I don’t have a boyfriend now. But by the look of her face I could sense that she didn’t believe me maybe because I am so wasteful when it comes to cellphone credits and because I go out almost every night. It was obvious to her that I am seeing a guy. But I told her that the guy I’m seeing is not my boyfriend. He’s just a summer fling. Hehehe… and I don’t have plans of taking it to the next level with him (or who knows?! Ngek!). My sister continued to talk about my love life and as usual, I just kept quiet. It was always like that, I just listen to everything she says simply because I just don’t want to say anything. She was persuading me to spit out my affairs with the guy that I’m seeing but I told her that there is just nothing to spit out because nothing is going on between us in the first place. We’re just going out