Skip to main content

Why Elisha's Birthday Should Always Be Celebrated

"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father's care. And even the very hairs of your head are all numberd. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. - Matthew 10:29-31"
Every birthday is a celebration. But Elisha's is not just a celebration. It's a remembrance and a reminder. A reminder of God's goodness, His power, His love.

Even until today, I can't help but get emotional whenever I remember the events of 2011. It's not just because of Elisha's birth but also because of the events leading up to it and those that came after it. It was hard to grasp at that time. It still is hard to grasp now. But one thing is for sure, when God gives us something, it is not so we would suffer. It is because He loves us so much that He wants us to grow in our faith and be a blessing to others.

True, I get reminded of God's goodness whenever I see Elisha. But events of recent times has made the magnitude of what He has done for me even more enormous. Hearing other people get in trouble because of the same "crime" that we had committed more than 2 years ago just make me realize the iron-clad protection that surrounded us at that time. It just makes me more thankful. It makes me feel more loved than I deserve. It has made me more compassionate especially to those people who were and still are in a similar situation. 

The moment I opened my eyes for the first time after Elisha was born, I realized that it was God who delivered me from the mess I found myself in. I was overwhelmed by the realization that God loves me so much and that He knows every inch of me. I couldn't even understand the magnanimity of it but I felt it, and I knew it was true. For according to His word, "even the very hairs of your head are all numbered." This verse will forever be engraved in my heart. 

So now and so long as our family exists, this day will always be a celebration of Elisha's birth and of God's unmatchable and unconditional love. I hope everyone will remember that. 




If you missed the blog that I wrote last year for Elisha's birthday, you can find it in the below link:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pray for a Partner!

I was surprised by the question that my sister threw at me one time, “Do you now have a boyfriend?” Caught off guard, I honestly said, “None.” It was true anyway. I don’t have a boyfriend now. But by the look of her face I could sense that she didn’t believe me maybe because I am so wasteful when it comes to cellphone credits and because I go out almost every night. It was obvious to her that I am seeing a guy. But I told her that the guy I’m seeing is not my boyfriend. He’s just a summer fling. Hehehe… and I don’t have plans of taking it to the next level with him (or who knows?! Ngek!). My sister continued to talk about my love life and as usual, I just kept quiet. It was always like that, I just listen to everything she says simply because I just don’t want to say anything. She was persuading me to spit out my affairs with the guy that I’m seeing but I told her that there is just nothing to spit out because nothing is going on between us in the first place. We’re just going out...

A Prayer in the Desert

We had just finished our pictionary sessions for that day when Manang startled us with a shocking news. Immanuel, or Iman as what we usually call him, the only nephew we have, was rushed to the hospital earlier that day. We were kind of late for the news as my eldest sister, Grace, only left an offline message to my other sister's (Nanette) yahoo account.  It was not really a cause of alarm for me at first as I knew that Ate is some kind of paranoid sometimes. She worries a lot and I thought that she overestimated the gravity of the situation.  Manang decided to call Ate though it was already around 4am Philippine time. I was only listening, something that I usually do as I'm not good in communicating affection to family members, or to anyone if I may say (but it doesn't mean that I don't care. I do, I really do care.) She first told us about the situation, that Iman was suffering from a disease worse than pneumonia, that his lungs were dirty, and that air could...

Diaries of a Migrant Worker I

April 10, 2009 9:59 PM Dubai, United Arab Emirates There has never been a day since I got here that I have never wished of being home. I guess the aloneness that I have always wanted hasn’t really been working out for me. Homesickness, whether I accept it or not, has crept up on me and the most important question that I have asked myself for at least a million times hasn’t been answered yet. I am still wondering why God has allowed me to be here. Being here was my choice and I have to accept the consequences of my decision. But unlike most people have accused me of, I am not here for the money. NO, DEFINITELY NOT! I decided to come here to be alone… to run away… to move on… and to forget the memories that have haunted me for so long. I came here to forgive and be forgiven with the hope that when I go back everything would be alright; that I would be able to completely take away all the hatred that I have been hiding all these years; that I would be able to accept things as they ar...