Skip to main content

Homecoming

I can still remember my first few weeks in Dubai. Engrossed by the indifference that wrapped my whole being, it took a long time before I finally realized that I would be staying in a faraway place for a relatively long time. And when homesickness finally struck me, there was never a day that I did not wish of being home.

The memory is still vivid in my head. I was riding a bus full of strangers where the only female specie was myself. ‘I would remember this day,’ I told myself. ‘When I get home I would remember this very moment, the very first time that I planned to go home’

Though at first it was so hard for me to adjust, I gradually considered this city to be my second home. For a number of reasons, I was able to achieve the peace of mind that I have always wanted. I was free and calm. I was happy even though I was tired. I experienced all kinds of pressures and stress but still I was happy… to the point of not wanting to go back home.

At the back of my mind, I knew that I still wanted be home. I was eager to see the people I treasure once again. But more than the will, I was afraid to trade the happiness and peace of mind that I experienced while being away for the hurt and the confusion that I knew would envelop me once I go home.

I thought about it for so many days… weeks… months… But the gambler in me took over all my instincts so I purchased my ticket even though I was still doubtful.

December 6, 2009. The day that I was waiting for since I first set foot in this ancient, yet modern-day city. I got on board an almost 12-hour flight back to Cebu. And even before I was able to set my eyes on the precious sights of my hometown, screams of my name already reached my ears. And there they were, friends and family whom I was only chatting with online for the past year.

It was such an overwhelming experience. Seeing them once again gave me a different kind of ecstasy which I could not even explain. And with my 30-day stay, I have earned enough pictures and memories that I could always go back to every time I miss each of them while I’m here.

I could never ever forget the one long paranormal night that started as a small chitchat at a coffee shop and turned into a full blown night out at the videoke bar. Moreso, the night did not end without doing what we have always done best in the past, a movie marathon. The various pictorials and instant night outs at Mango Avenue and Ayala Center which resulted into choreographed photographs that I still laugh at until this day. The two-day tour of Bohol was the most splendid and extravagant. It was the most beautiful place I have visited ever. The planned house hopping during Christmas eve which resulted into a sleepover at Paolo’s place where we first got struck with our addiction to Pictionary.

The fun-fun thanksgiving party at church was full of songs and laughter. The different swimming adventures in Kawasan and Bahia sustained the on-going addiction to Pictionary which even infected other church members. The go-karts and skates at Funland with the kids were also very memorable. And how can I forget the two-day and two-night stay in Tubod where we were free to become kids again. And lastly, the never-ending Pictionary games which earned us lipsticks, softdrinks, ginabots, and infected throats.

And now that I’m back to my normal life, I could only reminisce those days of carefree living. For if plans don’t change, I may not be able to see home for a few years. I thank the following people for making my vacation more memorable and meaningful than I expected:

• To the Lord God Almighty, thank you for making me strong in all these years. The past two years have been years of self-discovery and faith in You. And though there had been times that I wanted to give up, you had always reminded me that You are great and You are God and there is no one else who cares about me like You do.

• To my parents, thank you for giving me the chance to give

• To Ate Grace and Kuya Roger thank you for taking care of me and for all the good example that I have always seen in you. You are the few people that I look up to.

• To Daday and Kuya Dong: though distance is quite a predicament, your support is more than enough

• To Manang and Kuya Rama: there are no other people more generous than both of you. It is such a great blessing to have a family like you

• To Shekinah, Iman, and Kimkim: You are the ones who lighten up my life. Thank you for being childish because it is with you that I get to release the child in me.

• To my high school friends: Ecel, Katrina, Lorie, Elizabeth, Faye. Thank you very much for sharing a little of your precious time with me. We have not seen each other for years yet you showed me that our friendship is still the same. Thank you for sharing a part of yourselves.

• To the UP ComMedianz: Krishna, Ivy, Yarry, Vianney, Roxan, Cle, Kathi, Gigs, Emerald, Delna, Fatimah. Thank you for spending one whole night of partying with me. It was a splendid evening of songs and laughter. And for Ivy, Yarry, and Vianney, and Krishna whom I had late night hang outs with, thank you very much for forgetting about work for a while just so that we could hang out together.

• To my NCC Friends: Dawn and Jan2x. Though it was only when I came back that I got to know you better, thank you for spending time with me. To Mayat and Besadee, though we were able to hang out only once, thank you for still finding time to be with me. To RJ, you have always been present in all the laags… I really appreciate that. Thank you very much. To Pempem and Joshua, you are so fun to be with. Thank you for all the laughter. To Dido, you have always been a silent keeper yet you have shown us that we, your friends are important to you. And though you had to leave ahead of us, I still appreciate that you tried to be with us despite complications.

• To my best friends: Jay, you have always been the one who puts not just smiles but boisterous laughter on my face. Thank you very much for uplifting my spirit. Paolo, my bud brother (hehe..), thank you very much for being there for me when I least expected it. You are the source of this Pictionary addiction. Hahaha… Naomi, our friendship from the very start has never ended nor changed. It has been almost eight years, I guess, but we have never grown apart despite the distance and despite the age gap (ayay! Haha!) The childlike character in you and in me are such a good combination. Thanks for being there.

• To the One: Elmo, though we’ve always been so very different, I appreciate that you have accepted me for who I am. There is no one else in this world who knows me inside and out than you do. And there is no other human being who knows all my bad sides except you. Yet, you stayed. And though I thought you went astray, you made me realize that sometimes, things are not what they seem to be. Thank you for being thoughtful. See you very soon!

And for everyone else whom I haven’t mentioned, thank you very much!

Comments

  1. Mary Grace Genon3:35 PM

    Karon pa ko kabasa ani dah..hehehehe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Filipinos Make Mr. Art Bell Puke... That's Not the Case With Me!

A hate mail has been circulating in the web right now against Filipinos and Philippines as a country. It is clearly a product of ignorance and I am greatly outraged and that the same time saddened by the contents of the open letter. The letter was written by a man named Art Bell who is reportedly a radio commentator. I don't know where he based his opinions but they are really ridiculous! His letter entitled "Filipinos Make Me Puke" is in blue below. A response to the letter by a fellow Filipino is in green while my own response is in red. Filipinos Make Me Puke By: Art Bell As we've all come to notice, in the past few decades, Filipinos have begun to infest the United States like some sort of disease. Their extensive involvement in the U.S. Armed Forces is proof of the trashy kind of qualities all Filipinos tend to exhibit on a regular basis. You can see this clearly by studying the attitudes and cultural Icons of most Filipino Americans. Origins of Pinoys/Pinays

Pray for a Partner!

I was surprised by the question that my sister threw at me one time, “Do you now have a boyfriend?” Caught off guard, I honestly said, “None.” It was true anyway. I don’t have a boyfriend now. But by the look of her face I could sense that she didn’t believe me maybe because I am so wasteful when it comes to cellphone credits and because I go out almost every night. It was obvious to her that I am seeing a guy. But I told her that the guy I’m seeing is not my boyfriend. He’s just a summer fling. Hehehe… and I don’t have plans of taking it to the next level with him (or who knows?! Ngek!). My sister continued to talk about my love life and as usual, I just kept quiet. It was always like that, I just listen to everything she says simply because I just don’t want to say anything. She was persuading me to spit out my affairs with the guy that I’m seeing but I told her that there is just nothing to spit out because nothing is going on between us in the first place. We’re just going out

A Prayer in the Desert

We had just finished our pictionary sessions for that day when Manang startled us with a shocking news. Immanuel, or Iman as what we usually call him, the only nephew we have, was rushed to the hospital earlier that day. We were kind of late for the news as my eldest sister, Grace, only left an offline message to my other sister's (Nanette) yahoo account.  It was not really a cause of alarm for me at first as I knew that Ate is some kind of paranoid sometimes. She worries a lot and I thought that she overestimated the gravity of the situation.  Manang decided to call Ate though it was already around 4am Philippine time. I was only listening, something that I usually do as I'm not good in communicating affection to family members, or to anyone if I may say (but it doesn't mean that I don't care. I do, I really do care.) She first told us about the situation, that Iman was suffering from a disease worse than pneumonia, that his lungs were dirty, and that air could