Skip to main content

Twilight


My eyes are half-open and tired yet my mind refuses to put me in a deep slumber even if it knows that I badly need a rest from all of these. I have been awake for a little more than thirty-six hours but I can't seem to disassemble my mind, break it into pieces, and try to clear it with everything. I have to think of nothing. I have to focus on nothingness.

But the more I try to focus, the more my mind refuses to let go of my imaginations. Yes, I am aware that I am very much imagining things, specifically the scenes from the novel that I am addicted to right now -- Twilight.

It started out as a simple curiosity. I have heard my friend, Naomi, tell me things about the novel. I never understood her but I got really curious because she seldom shows me a perfect enthusiasm, or should I say addiction, to novels (except for Harry Potter which I definitely would not read). She sent me an e-mail with pdf files of the four books -- the Twilight Series. I promised her that I would read it, a promise that I thought I would definitely keep. For one, I promised her for a movie date as soon as Twilight the movie would be out in theaters. I knew she was addicted to that and I thought that it would be a great belated birthday gift.

Since I have found the love for books, I have always instructed myself to read the book first before watching its version in the theaters. That way, I thought, would make me appreciate both the book and the movie better. I have successfully done that mission after I watched The Notebook in the theater. I watched it first before I read the book and I surprisingly appreciated both versions, though I wonder if I would appreciate the movie if I had done the reverse. Nevertheless, it was a rule that I wanted to follow only because I think that books are more authentic, more original, and more enjoyable.

I struggled to finish the first chapter of the book. I didn't find it boring at all but I sensed that the setting was a bit gloomy especially with the strange preface. I didn't understand it at all. It was written from the first-person point of view. The woman, or should I say the teenager, was narrating her near-death experience, her pain as well as her joy, as she was about to be killed by the man she loves.

Strange enough isn't it? So I continued racing on with time. I wanted to finish just the first book and not all the four of them before the movie's opening. I had only a few days. But instead of racing against time, I found myself racing against myself, racing against my mind, racing against this strange abnormality that I am getting involved with the story. Ugh, I thought that reading the novel was a bad idea after all. I found myself not letting go from it, reading from page to page, in a pace that I never thought I could handle. I have finished the first three books in the past three days. The only reason why I am writing this right now is because I could not go on with the last novel because the file has been corrupted.

I am very much addicted to it. I can't seem to take the whole thing out of my mind now especially that I have already seen the movie's trailers. I had been worried, until earlier today, that Robert Pattinson, who played Edward Cullen, would do justice for his role. I saw his eyes, his skin, his emotions through his face. He was in fact convincing enough to be a vampire, who battles his thirst for human blood just so he would not hurt, or worse kill, the woman who made his dead heart beat -- Bella.

It was a normal teeny story. The boy met the girl, both were hostile against each other at first, boy saved the girl's life, until they found themselves in each other's arms. But there was something in this story that made it especially wonderful compared to the romance novels that we normally encounter. Everything was normal, until the secrets were revealed. Edward Cullen was a vampire!

Stephanie Meyer, the author of the Twilight series, made it a point that Edward was not a normal vampire -- as if being a vampire is normal at all. Edward and four more teenagers, and immortal vampires, were adopted by Carlisle and Esme Cullen. The family practiced a vegetarian diet. Vegetarian.. hmm... actually.. animal diet. They refused to be 'normal' vampires who quench their thirst through human blood. They didn't want to be monsters.

For hundreds of years, Carlisle abstained from drinking human blood. He perfected the art of resisting the temptation of drinking it and even got immuned by its beautiful scent. He was a doctor after all. He always saw and smelled blood at the hospital. The family were successful in resisting killing innocent humans. When they became thirsty, they hunted the forests and quenched their thirst with the blood of wild animals. They were able to resist killing people but their self-control was never perfect, especially when the scent of human blood was near.

Edward abstained. But the arrival of a teenage migrant girl from Phoenix bothered him in a great way. Something told him that she was his favorite scent and being near her intensified his thirst. They were hostile against each other at first but eventually their love story came around. They both fell in love with each other. Edward was as much as protective of Bella from other vampires as from himself. He was cautious, too cautious in fact that he was even afraid to touch her. He was afraid that he would lose his self-control and kill Bella.

The story got on more complicated matters about Edward and Bella, the Cullen Family, all the other vampires, and even werewolves later on. It is actually hard to narrate everything here. But to make the long story short, at the end of Twilight, at least the first of the four books, Edward and Bella ended up with each other's arms safe. Well, safe enough until the next book came along.

I actually don't understand why my attention is with Edward and Bella's story now. Maybe it is some kind of my fantasy to meet a guy like Edward Cullen who is so passionate, overprotective, and unselfish that he is very much willing to take a bullet for Bella -- not that he would really die of a bullet. Seriously, I have never read of any character as unselfish and passionate as Edward Cullen. And Bella, oh well Bella, I have never read of any character as stubborn as her as well.

In any way, I hope I would enjoy the movie as much as I enjoyed the books. I am now addicted to its trailers and I can't wait to be off to the theaters on November 26. I hope that I would have time to sneak out with my friends. hehe..

Definitely, I would recommend the book. It is a fascinating and hypnotic saga that literary fans should not dare to miss. But for now, for those who haven't read it yet, you just have to be contented with the movie first. See you at the theaters on November 26.



Comments

  1. Anonymous2:32 PM

    ahahahahahaha..pgkataas sa blog..hahahaha

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Filipinos Make Mr. Art Bell Puke... That's Not the Case With Me!

A hate mail has been circulating in the web right now against Filipinos and Philippines as a country. It is clearly a product of ignorance and I am greatly outraged and that the same time saddened by the contents of the open letter. The letter was written by a man named Art Bell who is reportedly a radio commentator. I don't know where he based his opinions but they are really ridiculous! His letter entitled "Filipinos Make Me Puke" is in blue below. A response to the letter by a fellow Filipino is in green while my own response is in red. Filipinos Make Me Puke By: Art Bell As we've all come to notice, in the past few decades, Filipinos have begun to infest the United States like some sort of disease. Their extensive involvement in the U.S. Armed Forces is proof of the trashy kind of qualities all Filipinos tend to exhibit on a regular basis. You can see this clearly by studying the attitudes and cultural Icons of most Filipino Americans. Origins of Pinoys/Pinays

Pray for a Partner!

I was surprised by the question that my sister threw at me one time, “Do you now have a boyfriend?” Caught off guard, I honestly said, “None.” It was true anyway. I don’t have a boyfriend now. But by the look of her face I could sense that she didn’t believe me maybe because I am so wasteful when it comes to cellphone credits and because I go out almost every night. It was obvious to her that I am seeing a guy. But I told her that the guy I’m seeing is not my boyfriend. He’s just a summer fling. Hehehe… and I don’t have plans of taking it to the next level with him (or who knows?! Ngek!). My sister continued to talk about my love life and as usual, I just kept quiet. It was always like that, I just listen to everything she says simply because I just don’t want to say anything. She was persuading me to spit out my affairs with the guy that I’m seeing but I told her that there is just nothing to spit out because nothing is going on between us in the first place. We’re just going out

A Prayer in the Desert

We had just finished our pictionary sessions for that day when Manang startled us with a shocking news. Immanuel, or Iman as what we usually call him, the only nephew we have, was rushed to the hospital earlier that day. We were kind of late for the news as my eldest sister, Grace, only left an offline message to my other sister's (Nanette) yahoo account.  It was not really a cause of alarm for me at first as I knew that Ate is some kind of paranoid sometimes. She worries a lot and I thought that she overestimated the gravity of the situation.  Manang decided to call Ate though it was already around 4am Philippine time. I was only listening, something that I usually do as I'm not good in communicating affection to family members, or to anyone if I may say (but it doesn't mean that I don't care. I do, I really do care.) She first told us about the situation, that Iman was suffering from a disease worse than pneumonia, that his lungs were dirty, and that air could