Skip to main content

A Meeting With Dondon Hontiveros

this is actually my article about Dondon Hontiveros
Published at Sun Star Daily on September 12, 2004
Dondon Hontiveros: Playing God’s Game

Being a basketball superstar does not prevent Dondon Hontiveros from looking after his spiritual life. In his almost seven years of playing professional basketball, Dondon has found out that fame and wealth do not make a person more blessed than others.

“God alone can fill the void that we have in our hearts,” he said.

The gospel touched him for the first time in October last year. Pastor Robert Gonzales, of Victory Christian Fellowship, visited one of San Miguel’s practice sessions to share the gospel to Danny Ildefonso. But instead of Danny, Dondon was the one touched by God’s message through Pastor Robert.

“Niingon ko, nindot lagi ni. Pero wala ko ni commit kay niingon ko religion na sad ni... unsa man ning mga religion (I said, ‘This is good’. But I didn’t commit myself to it since I was thinking it was just another one of those religions),” he said.

Also, his mother was a devout Catholic. He didn’t want to be a dishonor in the family.

But God knocked on Dondon’s heart once more between February and March this year, when he was experiencing a lot of problems. He sought counsel from his priest friend. He felt good for a while, but realized later that the hunger and thirst he was experiencing were not fully satisfied. He remembered Pastor Robert and the gradual transformation in his life started.

Dondon said he was only trying to taste God’s goodness. The next thing he knew, he was getting addicted to Him. Everyday his love for God grew as his knowledge of Him increased.

“Nitilaw ko ni Jesus ug karon addict na kaayo ko (niya),” he said.

Shifting from being a Catholic to being a Born Again Christian was not easy for his family. Everyone thought him weird. While they were in Manila, his sister complained to their mother that Dondon was acting odd. Their mother even cried. But when they saw the changes in Dondon’s life, they accepted God’s will for Him. Now, his mother and sister attend the Sunday services of Victory Christian Fellowship.

Although his father does not share the same faith with the rest of the family, he is happy seeing positive changes in his son’s life.

But the reaction of Dondon’s friends was different.

During this year’s Philippine Basketball Association Fiesta Cup, Dondon suffered a sprain. Instead of reacting negatively about the situation, like he used to do whenever he got injured, Dondon told himself that God had already healed his injury. He was advised not to practice. But he told his coach he would only stop practicing if he’d feel pain. Surprisingly, he felt none.

Feeling it was perfect time for him to bring the Good News to his teammates, he gathered them and shared with them his experience of God’s salvation. He thought his teammates would accept the message. To his surprise, some rejected him.

“Rejection, persecution, I have already read that. Those who follow Christ will be persecuted,” Dondon said.

“I’m not thinking about basketball as work. For me, I’m not just working, I’m serving now.”

Dondon looks forward on serving the Lord everyday. His enthusiasm to Christian living was so intense that he actually thought of quitting basketball and becoming a Christian worker fulltime. His pastor advised him against it and told him he will stay longer in the PBA now that he has a “satisfied mind and a transformed heart,”

Still, Dondon is preparing for a future ministry. He now attends a leadership course in Victory and hopes to graduate after two years. Dondon plans to serve fulltime after his career.

“God knows when He wants me to stop playing,” he said. “I’m always willing anytime.”

From being an athlete driven by fame and fortune, Dondon Hontiveros has gradually transformed into a fulltime servant of God.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Filipinos Make Mr. Art Bell Puke... That's Not the Case With Me!

A hate mail has been circulating in the web right now against Filipinos and Philippines as a country. It is clearly a product of ignorance and I am greatly outraged and that the same time saddened by the contents of the open letter. The letter was written by a man named Art Bell who is reportedly a radio commentator. I don't know where he based his opinions but they are really ridiculous! His letter entitled "Filipinos Make Me Puke" is in blue below. A response to the letter by a fellow Filipino is in green while my own response is in red. Filipinos Make Me Puke By: Art Bell As we've all come to notice, in the past few decades, Filipinos have begun to infest the United States like some sort of disease. Their extensive involvement in the U.S. Armed Forces is proof of the trashy kind of qualities all Filipinos tend to exhibit on a regular basis. You can see this clearly by studying the attitudes and cultural Icons of most Filipino Americans. Origins of Pinoys/Pinays

Pray for a Partner!

I was surprised by the question that my sister threw at me one time, “Do you now have a boyfriend?” Caught off guard, I honestly said, “None.” It was true anyway. I don’t have a boyfriend now. But by the look of her face I could sense that she didn’t believe me maybe because I am so wasteful when it comes to cellphone credits and because I go out almost every night. It was obvious to her that I am seeing a guy. But I told her that the guy I’m seeing is not my boyfriend. He’s just a summer fling. Hehehe… and I don’t have plans of taking it to the next level with him (or who knows?! Ngek!). My sister continued to talk about my love life and as usual, I just kept quiet. It was always like that, I just listen to everything she says simply because I just don’t want to say anything. She was persuading me to spit out my affairs with the guy that I’m seeing but I told her that there is just nothing to spit out because nothing is going on between us in the first place. We’re just going out

A Prayer in the Desert

We had just finished our pictionary sessions for that day when Manang startled us with a shocking news. Immanuel, or Iman as what we usually call him, the only nephew we have, was rushed to the hospital earlier that day. We were kind of late for the news as my eldest sister, Grace, only left an offline message to my other sister's (Nanette) yahoo account.  It was not really a cause of alarm for me at first as I knew that Ate is some kind of paranoid sometimes. She worries a lot and I thought that she overestimated the gravity of the situation.  Manang decided to call Ate though it was already around 4am Philippine time. I was only listening, something that I usually do as I'm not good in communicating affection to family members, or to anyone if I may say (but it doesn't mean that I don't care. I do, I really do care.) She first told us about the situation, that Iman was suffering from a disease worse than pneumonia, that his lungs were dirty, and that air could