Skip to main content

I am at the Epicenter


Two of my sisters are in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. One of them has been working in the city for almost three years and the other one for almost two. They earned relatively well which made us able to live quite comfortably. A few months ago, my eldest sister was also dreaming about going to that great Muslim city and tried to persuade me of going there too. When she asked me the ultimate question, I was a little surprised with my response.

It was a big NO. "Why?" she asked. For one, I never really dreamed of leaving my comfort zone for anything, especially for money. There was nothing I wanted but to be able to live as comfortably as I can and at the same time be contented with what I have. But that reason was actually not the one that I told my sister.

"The Lord's second coming is near," I told her, "and when that time comes, I don't want myself to be surrounded by Arabs." It surprised me and my sister as well. But it was a very truthful answer. By that answer I didn't mean that I hated the Arabs. I was only probably afraid of the persecution and torture that I would experience if I would live such days in an Arabic country. But even so, I told myself that I would gladly die for Jesus even though I don't know how and I don't know if I would be able to have the strength to do so.

At that time, I was researching immensely about the end of days, about the Lord's second coming, about the events that lead to it, about the persecution that would fall upon all the Christians in the world, and about the prophecies found in the Bible that were and would be coming true. I was amazed about all the information I found on the net. It was as if all the powerful people and countries of the world were conspiring to deceive all the people in the world. The powerful nations were conniving against Israel, the Jews, and all the Jesus-believing people. All the things that I learned made me think about preparing for the future. The last thing in my mind at that time was leaving my home for an Arabic country.

Little did I know that some things would lead me here -- in the same city that my eldest sister and I just used to talk about, the same city where two of my sisters are working, the same city that I thought I would not be able to step my feet on. When we were just preparing for my temporary migration, my decision was not firm. (In fact, until now, I have not been able to accept the fact that I am here and that I would be working here for at least a year.)

Because I didn't pray for that decision, I expected God to oppose me. I thought that surely, going to Dubai was not according to God's will for me. But I was surprised. Everything worked so quickly and smoothly that I thought everything wasn't real. After applying for a visa for me in the morning, my sister was able to get a three-month visit visa (which is rare at this point in time here in UAE) in the afternoon. When I submitted my resignation letter, my manager did not give me a hard time when she was known to be someone who holds her people so tightly that anyone who wants to resign wouldn't be able to do so. Surprisingly, instead of interrogating me, she even told me that she supported my decision. She told me she knew I would do well and she wished me well. My 12-hour flight from Cebu to Dubai was surprisingly turbulence-free. All of my previous journeys were disturbed by storms whether I travel by boat or by plane. I even believed that I was the jinx of the ships and planes that I was able to ride on. And, to add icing on the cake, I was able to find a job in just one week of staying in Dubai. These events made me ponder on something that I didn't think before. Is this really God's will for my life?

When the plane was taxiing by the runways of Dubai, I knew that I have reached the point of no return. "This is it!" I thought. There was no turning back and I tried to brace myself for the worst. I was one of the hundreds of multinationals who lined up to get my eye scanned, and my passport and visa stamped. I was at the end of the lined and I felt a little strange about the realization that the place was not my home. I was the minority. I was surrounded with different peoples of the world and they were speaking tongues that were new to me. I saw Filipinos like me but there were more Indians. There were Pakistanis, Koreans, Africans, Americans, British, and whoever knows what there nationalities were. But the most striking sight that caught my eyes were the sight of the Arabs. I saw a lot of them and I was initially afraid. I never thought that they were real. I was just used to seeing people like them on television but at that point I realized that it was real. They were wearing long white robes. Black round turbans were on their heads. They were fair-skinned and they had mustache on their faces. Their deep eyes were true to me and their long and elaborate noses were no longer uncommon to my eyes. They were tall and beautiful people. But sad to say, they and their ancestors have been deceived.

I am here in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. I am in an Islamic country. I am in a nation that is an enemy of my beloved Israel. I am in a place doomed to perish in the coming days. I am in the Middle East -- the epicenter.

Reading Joel Rosenberg's Epicenter, I have begun to understand the war of Gog and Magog prophesied by the Hebrew prophet Ezekiel. Epicenter has brought me to a place of understanding the players and their motives of the coming war which would take place in the region that I am living in right now. He revealed future headlines to watch out for and tried to persuade the people to do what they have to do to prepare for the end of days. Anyone who has paid attention would realize that the war of Gog and Magog is near.

Iran and Russia's alliance are stronger than ever. Russia has continued to sell arms to Iran and the iron-curtain of the north has been helping the Shiites of Iran in developing their nuclear bomb (or bombs). Recent headlines reveal that the ancient city of Persia is very close to completing their first atomic bomb. In fact, there have been rumors that the recent earthquake in Iran has been caused by an atomic bomb testing (the rumor has not been verified). Iran has been very vocal of its intention to annihilate Israel. And Israel's security has been threatened to a great extent.

Rosenberg explained in his book that the book of Ezekiel revealed that while Russia and Iran would form a coalition that would aim to destory Israel, Israel would be left alone in the war. Many people are skeptical about this. How in the world would Israel be alone when the only superpower left in the world has been on her side during all of her wars? Hasn't the United States of America, her strongest ally, defended her? Why wouldn't America defend her in the upcoming war of Gog and Magog?

That is a question that is very difficult to answer. But with the decline of America's economy, the end of President George W. Bush's term, and the reign of President-elect Barrack Obama's administration, the idea of Israel being alone during that war would not be so difficult to believe. Hasn't the Israeli government declared that the victory of Barrack Obama has brought the Jews the most unfriendly American administration ever? And haven't the Iranians been positive with Obama knowing that his inexperience would bring about indecisiveness and even his descent could make him more friendly toward the Muslim world?

With those in mind I am beginning to wonder what would be in store for me, for my sisters, and for all the Christians who are working here in Dubai. Are we here just to work for our own and make our wallets fatter? Or are we here for a higher kind of purpose that God has for us in the days of chaos and turmoil? Didn't God send us here because the Arabs need us? Let all of us ponder on that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Filipinos Make Mr. Art Bell Puke... That's Not the Case With Me!

A hate mail has been circulating in the web right now against Filipinos and Philippines as a country. It is clearly a product of ignorance and I am greatly outraged and that the same time saddened by the contents of the open letter. The letter was written by a man named Art Bell who is reportedly a radio commentator. I don't know where he based his opinions but they are really ridiculous! His letter entitled "Filipinos Make Me Puke" is in blue below. A response to the letter by a fellow Filipino is in green while my own response is in red. Filipinos Make Me Puke By: Art Bell As we've all come to notice, in the past few decades, Filipinos have begun to infest the United States like some sort of disease. Their extensive involvement in the U.S. Armed Forces is proof of the trashy kind of qualities all Filipinos tend to exhibit on a regular basis. You can see this clearly by studying the attitudes and cultural Icons of most Filipino Americans. Origins of Pinoys/Pinays

Pray for a Partner!

I was surprised by the question that my sister threw at me one time, “Do you now have a boyfriend?” Caught off guard, I honestly said, “None.” It was true anyway. I don’t have a boyfriend now. But by the look of her face I could sense that she didn’t believe me maybe because I am so wasteful when it comes to cellphone credits and because I go out almost every night. It was obvious to her that I am seeing a guy. But I told her that the guy I’m seeing is not my boyfriend. He’s just a summer fling. Hehehe… and I don’t have plans of taking it to the next level with him (or who knows?! Ngek!). My sister continued to talk about my love life and as usual, I just kept quiet. It was always like that, I just listen to everything she says simply because I just don’t want to say anything. She was persuading me to spit out my affairs with the guy that I’m seeing but I told her that there is just nothing to spit out because nothing is going on between us in the first place. We’re just going out

A Prayer in the Desert

We had just finished our pictionary sessions for that day when Manang startled us with a shocking news. Immanuel, or Iman as what we usually call him, the only nephew we have, was rushed to the hospital earlier that day. We were kind of late for the news as my eldest sister, Grace, only left an offline message to my other sister's (Nanette) yahoo account.  It was not really a cause of alarm for me at first as I knew that Ate is some kind of paranoid sometimes. She worries a lot and I thought that she overestimated the gravity of the situation.  Manang decided to call Ate though it was already around 4am Philippine time. I was only listening, something that I usually do as I'm not good in communicating affection to family members, or to anyone if I may say (but it doesn't mean that I don't care. I do, I really do care.) She first told us about the situation, that Iman was suffering from a disease worse than pneumonia, that his lungs were dirty, and that air could